Katie, here are my questions for the Place Value Module:
1. Overall – I found it difficult to put it into words or completely ascertain the problems behind student misunderstanding and/or confusion. What did you think? Did you find it easy to determine why children did or did not understand the concept of place value, and, if so, did you find it easy to explain?
2. PowerPoint – I loved the Base Ten Riddles and had a lot of fun seeing how I could use this in the classroom to help strengthen place value understanding. What did you think of the problems?
3. Textbook Reading, Developing Whole-Number Place-Value Concepts – What did you see as the biggest “take-away” for us as future teachers? And, what did you think about the different stages of understanding place value and how to support children at each level?
4. Digi-Blocks – What did you think of Digi-Blocks and how would you use them in the classroom?
5. Videos – What did you think of Cena’s understanding? I had a hard time determining how and why her understanding was lacking. She seemed to understand the concept of place value fairly well when she was instructing the teacher in the whole class setting; but she seemed to completely miss the understanding when working one-on-one. Do you think that had to do with feeling more pressure?
6. Ten Frame Tiles – Katie, what did you think of using ten-frames instead of base-10 blocks?